Classic SeaCraft Community  

Go Back   Classic SeaCraft Community > General Discussion > General

Old 12-04-2018, 01:39 PM

Default First year to go no wood?

In what year did seacraft go no wood? Are there any known problems with 2006 23s? I've read bad or sloppy wiring but how about build quality issues?
Old 12-04-2018, 02:36 PM

Pretty sure it was 1998 when they left Florida, bought by Larger company, can’t remember name. Own Mako, and a few other brands which may or may not still be in production. I visited the plant in Forest City, NC around ‘04 or ‘06, pre ‘08 crash which may have shut the whole plant since. IIRC, the wood shop was impressive, and I believe wood was still going in the Mako’s only.

Vezo
Old 12-04-2018, 11:05 PM

Default Maybe CSY Yacht

At one point think SeaCraft was bought by CSY Yacht, seem to remember that name. Just one name in a string of owners, but the only name that came to mind.
14' Fabuglas
14' Lyman lapstrake
8' Minimax, at age 14
Old 12-06-2018, 06:24 PM

I have a 2005 23, zero issues. Not even spider cracking on the fiberglass. These bass pro era boats get a bad rap but I truly believe the issues were hit or miss, and mostly on the 25s and 32s. The 20,21,23 seemed to be relatively problem free. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the coolest thing about these red headed stepchildren is that I have yet to see one gutted and rebuilt, simply because of the fact there is no wood in them. With that said, 30 years from now I might be eating crow. So not fair to compare to potter era boats as these boats are only 20 years old max. But they ride the same (I have ridden in both), and I love the changes made to the front deck with more storage, and the centerline box is just plain massive. The stern is nice as well, you can throw flip flops/ dock lines out of the way under the splashwell. On sandbar days, I can easily fit a fortress FX7, my stern anchor, under there as well. Very similar to the albury brothers transom design. I have know regrets, and most peeps that see it say “great job on the restoration, beautiful seacraft”
I just smile and say thank you, my ego would get smashed if I admitted it was a pos “Bass Pro Special”, lol
Old 12-06-2018, 07:23 PM
Administrator

I've seen a couple of these 25's and they look real nice. The only thing I didn't like about the newer 21, 23, 25 was the lack of fuel tank access. There's no hatch for replacing the tank when the tank goes bad.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshrimpin View Post
I've seen a couple of these 25's and they look real nice. The only thing I didn't like about the newer 21, 23, 25 was the lack of fuel tank access. There's no hatch for replacing the tank when the tank goes bad.
agreed, crossing fingers on this issue... on the contrary, because everything is seemless, no caulking/screws, all solid one piece floor, hopefully retards and restricts all the usual symptoms that can cause failure. Certainly will cry if/when the day comes i start smelling fuel in the bilge.
i do know of a 2006 23' that needed a tank replacement, spoke with owner. it was a $5000 problem.
most all of the newer boats of the 2000 vintage or newer, regardless of brand, do have seemless cockpit floors.